On July 1, 1846 in Constantinople (current day Istanbul), a spiritual awakening of thirty-seven men and three women formed a Society of the Pious which led them to declare their independence in the name of Jesus Christ from their Mother Church through a reform movement. Their numbers soon grew and spread throughout Anatolia, Syria and Armenia. As Rev. Dr. Movses Janbazian (AMAA Executive Director 1987-2000), describes in the book The Armenian Evangelical Church 2000 “by the early 1900s, there were 140 or more Armenian Evangelical churches with 55,000 or more adherents, served by no fewer than 185 pastors, evangelists and coworkers….The Genocide perpetrated by the Turks in 1915 against Armenians was a disaster for Armenians of all creeds…After the sovietization of Armenia, Armenian Christian believers were also persecuted in their homeland. As a result, by the early 1920s there were left no more than 50 organized Armenian Evangelical churches in the world.”
Today, there are 150 or more Armenian Evangelical organized churches and fellowships in the Republic of Armenia and 23 other countries.
For 169 years the Armenian Evangelical Church has faithfully adhered to the commandment of the Teacher and continues to “go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation.” -Mark 16:15
For 169 years the Church has reflected the Love of God in the service of our people and continues to do so in the homeland and in our communities across the globe.
We thank God for the Church and its mission and wish it spiritual growth and zealous loyalty to the Creator.